ANSI Z535.1 Safety Color Codes
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) establishes color codes for safety signs, labels, and tags in The American National Standard For Safety Colors (ANSI Z535.1). These color code standards provide a familiar, uniform message to workers and help to prevent workplace accidents. The severity of safety hazards can be easily identified by the color of the safety or warning labels. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has also adopted these color code standards.
SAFETY RED: “DANGER” or “FIRE”. The color red is used to identify an immediately hazardous situation. If the hazard is not avoided, death or serious injury will occur. Examples of SAFETY RED circumstances:
- Labeling emergency stop buttons.
- Labeling containers of flammable liquids.
- Fire exit signs or fire protection equipment.
- Labeling “no smoking” areas.
- Labeling hazardous parts of machinery that may cut, crush, shock, or otherwise seriously injure workers.
- Labeling high voltage areas.
- Labeling “caution” safety signs and labels.
- Identifying or labeling falling or tripping hazards.
- Cautioning workers of a wet floor.
- Labeling equipment that is under repair.
- Labeling safety information signs or policies.
- Labeling warnings against starting or moving equipment.
- Labeling “notice” signs, such as non-vehicle-entry or trespassing areas.
- Safety bulletin boards.
- Labeling or identifying safety or first-aid equipment.
- Reminding workers of safety procedures.
Labeling signs or instructions pertaining to sanitation, housekeeping, or general safety.
For more information on designing product safety label content, check out our ANSI Z535 Product Safety Label Standards article. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free printable PDF on product label safety standards! Label ID Systems is a top manufacturer of high-quality, custom labels in an assortment of colors. For more information on our printing capabilities, feel free to contact us at email@example.com or (480) 966-2999. Label ID Systems also offers a variety of pre-printed, electrical and high voltage safety labels. You can access our website 24/7 at labelidsystems.com!